February 10, 2019 by admin
THE Newcastle Jets have extended the contract of coach Gary van Egmond by a year and he will now stay at the helm of the A-League club until the end of the 2013-14 season.
In his second term at the Jets, van Egmond took over from Branko Culina on the eve of last season.
The Jets finished seventh, missing the finals for a second straight year.
Van Egmond has since rebuilt the squad, bringing in a host of exciting youngsters, and now has at least another season to try and repeat his championship success of 2007-08.
The coach was not available to the Herald but said in a statement on the club’s website that he was privileged to lead the Jets.
“I see a bright future, for this season and for many years to come, in both the development of the players and in the total culture of the club,’’ the statement said.
“It is exciting times for the Newcastle Jets Football Club; we have a great representation of local talent in our senior group and near 100 per cent in our youth team.’’
After guiding the club to a championship and wooden spoon in consecutive years, van Egmond left the Jets, who were then owned by Con Constantine, to take up a position at the Australian Institute of Sport.
He spent two seasons in Canberra before returning to Newcastle last year.
In the statement Jets owner Nathan Tinkler described van Egmond as one of Australia’s premier coaches.
“When we signed Gary, part of his charter was to develop an exciting team and to nurture local talent,’’ Tinkler said.
‘‘What has been impressive during his first season with us, is not only his ability to coach but his desire to improve the game locally.’’
Gary van Egmond.
Category 南京夜网 | Tags:
Sorry, comments are closed.