RSS Feed

Heater may have caused house fire

0

May 18, 2018 by admin

Damaged: The house today. Picture: Chris LaneA PORTABLE fan heater left unattended may have caused a fire which gutted a Bardwell Park house early on Sunday, police said.
苏州美甲学校

Three people died in houses fires across NSW within a week in August.

Fire and Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins said 20 per cent of fatal house fires were caused by heaters and electrical equipment.

‘‘More than 60 per cent of home fire deaths occur during the cooler months of May to September,’’ Mr Mullins said.

Mike Li told the Leader his parents had the heater on as they watched television in their loungeroom but forgot to turn it off when they went to bed.

They woke to heavy smoke, their loungeroom on fire and called triple-o.

Mr Li said his family do not yet know yet whether the fire was caused by a fault with the heater or because it was left too close to a sofa.

‘‘You hear about this sort of thing it but you never expect it will happen to you,’’ Mr Li said.

The Li family were still trying to salvage a few items from the red brick house on Lambert Road yesterday afternoon.

‘‘ They [my parents] are pretty distraught,’’ he said.

St George police said Fire and Rescue NSW crews from Campsie, Hurstville and Kogarah were called to the house about 1.30am.

‘‘The premises was completely destroyed by fire,’’ St George acting crime manager Inspector Peter Glynn said.

‘‘It may have been due to an electrical fault but the likely cause is a fan heater left on.’’

He said police would work with firefighters to prepare a report for the Coroner.

Mr Mullins said there had been about 1200 house fires resulting in 160 injuries and six deaths by August 10 this year.


0 comments

Sorry, comments are closed.